A car accident is not something anyone looks forward to, but you should be prepared. The following tips can help you should you ever have a car accident. Remember that being prepared can help you survive and protect you from some of the aftermath associated with vehicle accidents.
Things You Should Have In Your Car
You should have the following, just in case of an accident:
- You should have a written note or digital note written on your phone that details allergies or health-related ailments of you and your passengers. Make sure that the note is accessible and visible. This could be very important, especially if the accident renders you unconscious.
- Make sure you have warning triangles, cones, or emergency flares should you need them to fend off oncoming traffic and signal for help.
- Make sure your phone is charged when you drive, and do not use it to conserve battery.
- Be sure to keep your insurance information in your wallet and a copy in your glove compartment. You also need to make sure you have the rest of the documents drivers are required to carry at all times.
Keeping the aforementioned in mind before an accident can be very helpful. But you also need to know what to do during an accident.
How To Deal With A Car Accident
The following are just some steps to take should you be involved in an accident:
- You need to make sure that everyone in your vehicle is safe and unharmed before doing anything else. Call emergency services if anyone is hurt.
- Move your vehicle to the shoulder of the road to avoid oncoming traffic if you can.
- Record insurance and contact information from the other party involved in the accident.
- Take photographs of any damage.
- Do not talk to the other party involved beyond what is needed. Never admit that the accident was your fault.
- Use your phone to record names, contact information, and statements from witnesses. Depending on your state, all you need is the consent of the person you are interviewing. Talk to your car accident lawyer about the law regarding recording statements in your particular state. You can use your audio recorder or video recorder.
Being prepared should help you in case of an accident. The aforementioned tips should also help maximize the possibility of a positive outcome should you need to take an auto accident attorney with you to court.